Most of the collections housed in the Heritage Center are available for public access. For more information on accessing the collections, please read the sections below:
Fees: The daily fee to use the collections is $5. For frequent users, the Heritage Center offers a Research Associate option. This is a one-year subscription, for $50, and includes 15 free visits per year. To become a Research Associate, contact Theresa Altieri at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-587-5568.
Daily Visit: $5
High School Students (with ID): Free
Undergraduate/Graduate Students/Seniors: $3
Research Associate: $50
Payments must be in cash, personal check or credit card. All fees are waived for members of The Union League, The Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS), The Dames of the Loyal Legion of the United States (DOLLUS) and the Board of The Civil War Museum of Philadelphia.
Scheduled Hours: Researchers can visit the Heritage Center on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 3pm to 6pm. Materials will not be pulled after 5:30pm. While appointments are not required during this time, they are still strongly encouraged. The Heritage Center has limited space and staff to accommodate researchers. By scheduling an appointment, researchers can avoid a crowded research table and can allow for materials to be called prior to their arrival.
Appointments: Appointments can be made outside of the scheduled hours on Mondays through Fridays, between 8am and 5pm. The Heritage Center has limited space and staff to accommodate researchers. By scheduling an appointment, researchers can avoid a crowded research table and can allow for materials to be called prior to their arrival. Appointments can be made by contacting Theresa Altieri, at email@example.com or 215-587-5568.
Accessing the Collections: The majority of the collections in the Heritage Center can be found in either of two online catalogs – EOS for the library collection and PastPerfect Online for the archival, manuscript and art collections. After you have located the materials you wish to use, record the Title and Call Number (for items found in the EOS catalog) or the Collection Name and Catalog Number (for items found in the PastPerfect Online catalog). Once you arrive at the Heritage Center, you will need these identifiers to request materials. For appointments, you can e-mail this information prior to your visit, to ensure the materials you wish to use are ready for you.
Please note that each catalog is being updated regularly as new materials are cataloged. Be sure to check back, or contact us, for information on new collections as they are added.
Reference Requests: The collections staff can provide researchers with answers to reference questions. Reference questions are those that can be answered with a minimal amount of research. Examples of reference questions include:
“Did John Doe belong to the Union League or the MOLLUS?”
“Do you have anything related to John Doe?”
“Do you have the book The Civil War by John Doe?”
To make a reference request, please e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call, 215-587-5568.
Reproduction Requests: Photocopies, photocopied scans, and digital images of materials in the collection can be provided. The fee schedule for each version of reproduction are specified in the sections below. To request copies, please contact Theresa Altieri at email@example.com or 215-587-5568.
All reproductions are subject to United States Copyright law. Reproductions are for reference use only and possession of copies does not constitute permission to publish or exhibit.
Photocopies and Photocopied Scans: Up to 10 photocopies or 10 photocopier scans per visit will be provided for each researcher as a courtesy. After the initial 10 copies, a fee of 50₵ per page will be charged. All fees must be paid at time of request, via cash, personal check or credit card.
Digital Images: Standard format for single-item digital reproductions is 300dpi, 24-bit color, uncompressed JPEG or TIFF. The fee per image is $25. Digital files can be either uploaded onto DropBox at no additional cost or can be copied on a CD and mailed for an additional $5. All fees must be paid at time of request, via cash, personal check or credit card.
Digital Images of Art: Standard format for single-item digital reproductions is 300dpi, 24-bit color, uncompressed JPEG or TIFF. The fee per image is $50. Digital files can be either uploaded onto DropBox at no additional cost or can be copied on a CD and mailed for an additional $5. All fees must be paid at time of request, via cash, personal check or credit card.
NOTICE WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS: Title 17 (the copyright law) of the United States Code governs the reproduction of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a copy. Specifically, the copy is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a copy for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. Users assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise from copying or in the use made of the copy. The Union League reserves the right to refuse to accept a request for copying. Copyright is not conveyed with copying. Written permission is necessary in order to quote, publish, display, or reproduce, including in digital format, any copies made under these conditions.
Helpful Hints for Researchers:
• Guests of the Heritage Center have access to the exhibits and research area, not the entire Union League building.
• The staff is here to help—if you have a question about our collections, our online catalogs or visiting the center, please contact Theresa Altieri at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-587-5568.
• All researchers must sign-in and provide a valid photo ID. A driver’s license, state ID card, school ID or passport are all valid forms of ID.
• After presenting an approved photo ID, researchers must fill out and sign both the Researcher Registration Form and the Material Request Form.
• No personal items are permitted at the research table. All coats, brief cases, handbags, backpacks and other personal items must be stored on the coatrack.
• Laptops, iPads, tablets, paper and other research materials are allowed at the research table, but must be declared prior to using the collections.
• Only pencils may be used at the research table.
• Food, drinks and chewing gum are not permitted at the research table.
• Cameras and phone cameras are permitted with the use of the Photography Permission Form, available from the staff. All cameras must be used without a flash.
• Handheld scanners are not permitted.
• Other forms of reproduction (photocopies, digital images) are available upon request.
• Research materials must be used at the research table only.
• All materials, including personal belongings, are subject to a security check upon leaving the Heritage Center.
Explore more about the Heritage Center
Dr. Russell P. Heuer Room
Ralph S. Sando, M.D. Room
Youth Work Foundation
Abraham Lincoln Foundation